Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Skylanders Party Planning - Part 7, THE PARTY!


At long last – I present to you... the summary of our Skylanders party. 


Yes, it has been over two months since said party took place, but better late than never, eh?


The activities went over really well.  The kids loved moving from station to station and acquiring crystals and gems to fill their customized pouches (tutorials on how to sew them and stencil them with fabric paint here).


The archery targets looked great and the flame arrows were really fun as well. 


Next time I would trim the flames down a bit to make it easier to nock the arrows.


The treasure hunt to find the treasure rocks went well.  And I was really pleased with how the treasure rocks turned out.  I used this tutorial:  Treasure Rocks.


The kids loved the ice orb smash and the tongue grabber game.


The wall of streamers was meh.  I ran out of time and wasn't able to put up as much as I wanted.  If it had been finished, I think it would have been fab.  Even incomplete, it added a nice pop to the yard.


I was very pleased with the rest of the décor. 

Streamers behind the food table provided a colorful focal point.



I was happy with my goofy centerpieces.  I used my elixir bottles and filled them with colorful beads for ballast.


I have to say that tissue tassels are definitely my new favorite thing.  After the party, I snipped the tassels off of the string, sorted by color, strung them on pipe cleaners, and hung them in the craft room to use for another time.
Sadly, the portal punch was a fail – I forgot that the pumpkin lights really only work in the dark.  Boo.  But the punch was good and the portal cardboard surround I made had a strong presence on the table.


We had too much food, as usual, but I don’t care – I love having the variety available.  Pizza, chips, water melon, and pineapple for lunch. 

The sweets table turned out really well, although we did end up moving it indoors to escape the oppressive humidity and voracious mosquitoes.  We made marshmallow pops dipped in pop rocks.  I displayed them in a diner-style shaker filled with pom-poms.


We also had chocolate dipped pretzels, a mini-cake with a simple buttercream stripe pattern topped with the logo on strwas, cupcakes with character and logo toppers, and my personal favorite - the Chompie Truffles.  I thought the red fangs made from candy cane jimmies (sorry – showing my Delaware roots – jimmies are sprinkles) were fun.



I was also excited to serve pre-scooped ice cream.  I bought mini-mason jars and put a scoop of vanilla bean in each the night before.  It was so easy to pull them out and stack them up on the sweets table.  I have a thing about sticky hands and drippy sticky containers, so I will be doing this from now on.  This little step easily reduced my stress level by several clicks.



For favors, we gave out silver take-out treat boxes.


They were filled with the same red and gold cello used for the flame arrows, which was very frugal of me, I think.



Inside we put:
Trigger Happy Chocolate Coins


Double Trouble Gumball Orbs (still leftover from Easter - will we never be done with these freaking gumballs?!?)


 Pop Fizz Pop Rocks (Dollar Tree)


 Zap's Sea Slime (Target Dollar Section)


 And Hex's Bone Erasers (no pic of those, unfortunately.  They were in the Target Dollar section with the grilling-themed stuff.)

2 comments:

  1. Great party!!! The treasure rocks look great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Taylin, for the kind words and the great instructions for the treasure rocks!

    ReplyDelete